AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sand in tiestalls.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim Dandy
Posted 3/20/2017 10:07 (#5911272 - in reply to #5911227)
Subject: RE: Sand in tiestalls.

NW Illinois Stephenson county

deere5010 - 3/20/2017 09:33

I've got the ok to put sand in the stalls with a pipe on the back to keep it in. How big of pipe should I go to? I'm thinking 3".

28 stalls are the newer style with no barn columns or pipes but how bad will it be if my sand raises the cows up 3" higher than where they eat from? The rest of the barn the feed is 6" plus higher than where the cows lay.

Next time you have supper, put your plate on the floor and eat. Does this encourage you to eat more? If the cows have to go on their knees 3-6" of sand will not help the cow's knees because they will burrow down to the floor in no time. Plus the cow's rear feet will push out even more sand while they are reaching for feed making it even more imperative to anchor the pipe very securely.

Anybody have any pictures of what I'm thinking of doing? There are several barns around that have done this that I am planning to go look at before I start this.

I have read about one or two guys that did this and were happy, but did acknowledge the barn cleaner chain wore out quicker but thought it was worth it for improving the longevity of the cows.

I just couldn't Bring myself to buy mats/mattresses In a rented barn and I think I can put sand in for fractions of the cost.

How long will you rent the barn and if you lose it will you buy or rent another barn? You can take mats with you. Price a new barn cleaner chain. Sand will wear it out faster. How many mats would that barn cleaner chain buy you? Why don't you try a few mats to give you an idea of payback potential?

I will be using the bedding chopper to put a layer of straw on top of barn cleaner chain. I've heard this is the ticket! And I hope so!

Good luck!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)