AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meyer 500 forage box
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sparrell
Posted 3/16/2017 06:47 (#5902642 - in reply to #5902603)
Subject: RE: Meyer 500 forage box

Farmer8920 - 3/16/2017 06:14

Meyers have got a good reputation here around East Central, WI. If you have the chance to buy ones in good shape I would go for it. 500's are way more reliable than the Rex's and unload very consistently. H&S 500 or Super 7+4 boxes are very close also in reliability and unloading. 7+4 HD's are also very good but much newer. I know quite a few of the newer H&S boxes had fold-down cross conveyors.

I used to use 4 Rex and Gehl boxes myself. I agree they were a bad design unless you could bear with them and keep them in the shed most of the time. The woods frames are Horrible! They liked to rot out fast when left outside in the rain or snow. It was too much time and labor to rebuild them so I finally sold them all to a neighbor for parts. If they had a better unload design I would have rebuilt them otherwise for sure.

I do miss the Gehl models but I understand why H&S finally started making boxes for them towards the end. Gehl could never get the design right on the ones they built themselves. Some Gehls I have seen even had Meyers beaters installed in them after the factory.

H & S 7+4 are good boxes, but I would stay away from the H & S 500. It's been quite a few years since I used them, but if I recall correctly the 500 beater set up was horrible compared to the 7+4. The 7+4 had more stagger in the beaters front to back and ran at different speed ratios so they worked much better for haylege.

We had nothing but beater problems with a h&s 500 and haylege. 7+4 worked ok.

Edited by sparrell 3/16/2017 06:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)