AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random fire questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cows-n-crops
Posted 3/14/2017 23:06 (#5900239)
Subject: Random fire questions

NEMO
I can't even imagine what the ranchers are going through that were devastated by the fires. The pictures I have seen have raised more questions.

If the fire went through and wiped out all the fences in an area, aren't most of the cattle dead in those areas?

If cattle survived, how did they survive? Wheat pastures that were green probably? Cows run to a pond? Deep ravine or ditch that the fire might have jumped? Are everybody's cows that survived all mixed together now without fences? Or are they so spread out that it's not much of an issue?

If most all the cattle died, how much more hay is needed? If they get rain soon, wouldn't the grass take off rather quickly? (Burn Flint Hills for grass management). If grass takes off, wouldn't cow/calf pair donations or partnerships be needed? (Realize different environment, but from what I have gathered it is easier for fescue cattle to go to hard grass than it is for hard grass cattle to come here to fescue).

Local county cattleman's group called today trying to organize something but not sure what's the best action at this point. Hay, fuel to get hay there, fencing supplies, man power?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)