AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hog barn help needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 3/11/2017 19:54 (#5893059 - in reply to #5892356)
Subject: RE: hog barn help needed

SE IA
blazer21 - 3/11/2017 12:17

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get some good honest numbers and opinions on my situation..... Location is SW MN...I'm in the process of getting approved to put up a 2400 hd double wide tunnel barn this year and i'm going through the FSA young farmer program to help out on the low interest side of things and stretch the term out to 15 years.... I'm doing a little different type of barn though, a liquid feed barn. So there are multiple differences between liquid and dry fed pigs and wondering if anyone out there has experience with the liquid fed pigs? I've been taking care of 4000 for the past 2 years and really like the system and also the higher manure value in nutrients along with about 40% more manure. The manure value before paying application is about $80,000. Putting on 2500 gal/ acre and can fertilize 750 acres a year. Nutrient analysis is 67(TKN)-67-50/ 1000gal along with 13# sulfur and .28#zinc. Hogs do tremendously well on the liquid feed too, which saves about $30/pig in feed costs.....Anywho... there are not very many liquid fed pigs in the area so its going to be hard for the appraisal value to actually match up with the barn like they do for dry barns. Barn is bid at $365/space right now.

Looking for good numbers on cost of operation numbers that people are seeing. would be feeder to finish. 45#-330# weights. The barns I take care of are curtain barns so not very good comparison for what i'm looking for. So any numbers that might help are appreciated.

Going to be a scale barn with a race track design. 10 ft deep pit (tried going for a 12' pit to make it a year but thats to costly). Lange Ag is who i'm going through for the project.

Also going to start another thread on putting up a hog barn vs cattle confinement too so be sure to find that thread and help me out on there too if you have any knowledge or preference between hogs or cattle confinements..
Thanks everyone!

I can't comment on everything but I'll try.

The USDA loan is a lot of hoops to jump through. Here they require an archeological study (to determine if the soil contains Indian artifacts), have send out written proposals to all neighbors....it is a nice interest rate but check with your banks, it may not be worth it.

As far as a liquid feed system I can offer no advice. Why does a liquid system cost $365 per head space? Do you need a larger pit? I wouldn't think a feed system would cost an extra $140/space. Most numbers I've heard lately would be somewhere around $225-250/space on a dry normal system.

I am skeptical of your manure values and manure amounts....seems like twice the manure....where is that coming from?

The $33/ head seems low unless you are under a contract where you aren't responsible for the care/chores.

I would figure your manure hauling costs as part of your budget....if no one wants the manure you are going to have to haul it.

Can you tell us more about the liquid feed system? Why is there that much more manure? You must have a pretty cheap liquid feed source nearby?

Me personally, I would need more money per head (50% more) to contract feed with this liquid barn when you are going to pay 40% more for a building. You could put up a dry finishing system that should be able to pay itself off in 12 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)