AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hog barn help needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 3/11/2017 18:06 (#5892848 - in reply to #5892356)
Subject: RE: hog barn help needed

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I have no experience with a liquid feed system so won't comment on that.

I have a curtain sided finisher I put up in 1997. I'm not sure what year it was without going back and looking but I converted my 25 head pen building to a scale sort building and got by good with for a number of years. They are however definitely a higher maintenance system of raising hogs. It got to the point where I didn't utilize the scale sorting until the last 6 weeks they were in there. I finally took it out a year ago and went with larger pens. I hire my work done now and the guy that was doing my chores didn't want to fight the scales anymore. Would I put a scale system back in again, I'd have to really think hard about that. At this point I highly doubt if I would.

I had to put a new roof on my building last summer from rust holes coming through, not cheap.

My gating is all original and is in remarkable good shape. I've done very,very little touchup work on that. I have vertical gating with 1" solid top and bottom pipe with 1/2" vertical rod welded to this. Only touch up is the very rare 1/2" rods that might come lose on the bottom shaft.

I know a lot on here to stay away from hog buildings but I've never felt that way. Mine has been paid for years ago and even though I do have to throw some money into them I do feel they are a good investment. People say don't count on the manure for much value but I say BS to that. My best corn and soybeans are where I inject my liquid manure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)