AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Off-Target Chemical Damage Insurance - Not for Applicator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmer53
Posted 2/23/2017 14:22 (#5858276 - in reply to #5857916)
Subject: RE: Off-Target Chemical Damage Insurance - Not for Applicator

NW IL
wesslmnn - 2/23/2017 10:32

No one has been spraying Dicamba on corn around my area for years based on the introduction of RR Corn which takes us back to at least the late 90's. We did have an isolated incident on our farm where dicamba was sprayed, volatilized due to no rain after a few days and very hot temprs, damaged 20 acres out of 80 and we were able to prove that it happened and were compensated. Today we find ourselves in a situation where due to resistant weeds, Dicamba will be the ONLY option for some farmers unlike situations in the past. This makes farmers more inclined to push the envelope. Combine that with the fact that financially, some farmers are struggling which will increase the chance of them not using pre-emerge, do it themselves with incorrect tips, etc. and you have a MUCH higher likelihood of issues occurring. I am not saying it will be a country wide disaster, but if it only happens in one location and you farm in the location, it will be a disaster to you. Ask the guys in the Southern MO and Arkansas that lived it last year.

+1. We are all walking into this dicamba mess together. I can understand the desperation argument from all sides. Having said that, I am an insurance agent for off the farm income and I have not heard of the product you are looking for. If you look at this dicamba issue from an insurance companies point of view.....I would not want to touch it with a long pole. Actuaries have no idea on how to price such a product, even if it were to be offered. The risk tolerance of a carrier would have to be pretty darn high to write such a policy, or any policy with specific coverages concerning this.

I know a few of the custom applicator insurance carriers are excluding dicamba application from their liability policies. It's a little more complicated when you get down to owner operated farm policies. There will be COOP's that have to switch insurance carriers, or not apply dicamba products.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)