AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ethernet difficulty
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 2/17/2017 06:34 (#5845311 - in reply to #5841289)
Subject: Not enough IP addys on your network?

I counted ten devices listed by you on your network. While you do not say, I presume your network has:

1.) No control or access to the settings of the Frontier DSL modem (many ISPs keep their modems locked down tight). If you do, check for limitations on the number of IP addresses. I suspect you maybe bumping against a 10 address limit. Ancient modems didn't take into account the explosion of "internet-of-things" we now enjoy.

2.) A short TTL (time-to-live) setting. TTL determines how long any network device on your network can retain it's IP address without renewing it's lease with the DHCP server.

3.) There may be some quirky thing happening if your Frontier modem is set as a DHCP server (assigning IP addresses per item it sees on the network) and your "hub" - which like another reply, more likely is a switch or router.

QUICK DEFINITIONS:
HUB - is like a party-line telephone line in the old days, everyone can pick up the telephone and hear Gracie down the road complain about the temperature at church last Sunday. No privacy. What comes in one port can be seen on every other port of that hub. Very noisy network - very slow network because computers, printers, etc have to wait their turn to talk on the network.

SWITCH - private telephone lines - internet traffic comes into the switch, the switch looks at each individual packet, reads which IP addresses is expecting that traffic and sends that packet out the port which that IP address was last seen on. Much quieter network - separate "conversations" between computers, printers, etc can take place without shutting down the rest of the traffic.

ROUTER - Telephone company central office - The brains that assigns IP addresses (DHCP services) are in the router. Works much better at being the traffic cop for the whole network.

I agree with the previous post about checking that port on your "hub" to see if other devices have same problem. You may have an intermittent issue that comes and goes. Intermittent is the hardest to diagnose because you don't know when your issue will happen next.

HELPFUL DIAGNOSIS:

Find out what your affected computer's IP address is - from command prompt type IPCONFIG
The IP address will show up in the list. For this series, let's presume your affected computer's IP address is 192.168.1.12

At a command prompt on a different Windows computer, type in PING 192.168.1.12 /t
This will show a continuous series of pings to the affected computer with a return time. The shorter the ping time the better.
You can leave this ping window run forever if you wish. It will show you immediately when the affected computer's connection goes down. Sadly, it will not reflect the actual time of day.

You could even do a separate command prompt window for each device on your network, having them staggered throughout your monitor screen. I would also have a ping loop running that pings the IP address of the Frontier modem as well.

This won't tell you why things are broke - but it will tell you if something's broke and if it breaks when something specific happens on your computer.

Best regards.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)