AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where is My Bottleneck?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

jonas grumby
Posted 2/9/2017 10:06 (#5827477)
Subject: Where is My Bottleneck?

Northern Illinois
A year ago I replaced my old laptop computer. I am cheap so I was happy when at Walmart I found a discontinued computer for $49. I assumed that at the speed computer technology was advancing anything I would buy new would be light years ahead of my old laptop. I should say that the $49 was marked down from $400-$500 I don't remember but Walmart was just getting rid of the computer. I purchased an Acer all-in-one which I really liked the idea of because my desk doesn't have a space for a tower. I purchased an

Acer Aspire Z1-621G
Windows 8.1
Intel Celeron CPU N2940 @ 1.83GHz
64 bit Operating System

Computer works perfectly on AgTalk, Commodities and my Accounting.

Computer has issues when I search the internet. My computer locks up and says page stopped loading due to long running scrip or sometimes the little blue icon just sits there and spins.

My laymen thinking is AgTalk, Commodities and Accounting do not have pictures, video or adds to slow it down so that is why those programs act fine. Other things like facebook, Yahoo or almost all other sites have pictures, video and adds so that must be what is causing my issues. In harvest we try to find our bottleneck and take care of that. It may be that our combine is to small, we are not able to get the crop away from the combine, our leg may be to slow, our dryer is to slow or we can not get the corn away from the dryer to the holding bins or any other reason. I am trying to find out what my computer bottleneck is.

Is it I got what I paid for and my $49 Walmart computer is a piece of junk.
Do I have a virus that is slowing things down and I just don't notice it on AgTalk, Commodities or Accounting but it is slowing them down just not that much. I have McAfee LiveSafe and that says I don't have any issues.
Is my farm internet just to slow? I thought about that but my wife has a Mac and is not having problems.
Is my router undersized? Again wife not having problems with her Mac.
Do I need to run something besides McAfee LifeSafe to find stuff?
I don't have much on the computer. But maybe some program is slowing it down.

I am just thinking my computer is a piece of junk that just can not handle loading pictures and video but like I said above I would think anything purchased new would be able to handle those things. It is not like I am trying to play high speed games.

Edited by jonas grumby 2/9/2017 10:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)