AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop roller
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WlntCrkJ
Posted 2/3/2017 21:01 (#5815125 - in reply to #5814951)
Subject: RE: Cover crop roller

Carroll, OH
We like to use some means to knock down tall cover crop and reduce the stress onemeeging corn and beans. I do not have data to show this, just visual observation and higher plant count in rolled cover crop.

Dawn ZRX
We have a 4 row planter set up with these using manual pressure control. Not consistent performance with this set up, but we have not used it enough to work out the bugs. I think active hydraulic control would be much better and more weight on the planter. Price is not too bad compared to some options, and the larger your planter the better the cost compared to other set ups. The system does not work for some pivot planters or with rows narrower than 20". Dawn will custom fit them to your row width and planter at their factory. Several guys are using them with great success. I also like that they are more flexible than the other rigid rollers. In theory you should get better control/ kill of the cover crop.

I&J Manufacturing (PA)
Maybe the best value out there, using the Rodale chevron design on a 16" pipe to give a 24" overall diameter. They will custom make any size up to 60ft wide. Sizes over 30ft can get very expensive due to the cost of the frame. Longer roller lengths may not follow soil contours and not give adequate kill of the cover crop.

Harrell Manufacturing (Georgia)
Only 3pt lift models available in sizes up to 30ft. I have not seen one up close, but should work well. Drum size similar to the I&J, but with alternating flat blades, so vibration may be an issue.

Rite Way (Canada)
Basically a land roller with 3" angle iron welded to the 36" drum. Very expensive. Very large.

(IMG_2409.JPG)

(IMG_2428.JPG)

(IMG_1316.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2409.JPG (125KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2428.JPG (178KB - 152 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1316.JPG (198KB - 166 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)