AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4240 screeching noise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 1/22/2017 21:15 (#5787124)
Subject: 4240 screeching noise

West Central Iowa
Recently my JD 4240 makes a screeching when reaching full throttle. Here are the details. Tractor has 5500 hours (know to be true because it was bought new by my grandpa). I feed hay and silage with it everyday and usually limit RPMs to around 1500-1600 max and have never heard the noise. Went to grind a few bales of hay for a neighbor and when I headed down the road, heard the screech at full throttle and then it went away, figured the fan belt needed tightening. Recently ran the pto generator on two occasions to do some remote welding. One time the tractor only ran (idled) for about 2 minutes and the other time about 10 minutes before going to PTO speed (but no load). Both times the screeching occurred and it was intermittent. It would come, then go, would last about 1 to 1.5 minutes. When it screeched the motor seemed to pull down very slightly and when the screeching quite, you would hear the RPMs pick back up. I have loosened the fan belt and the alternator/fan seem to spin easily. The one time I pulled a side screen off and almost thought the noise was coming from the front oil pump. All gauges are within normal operating range. No black smoke, loader runs off the power beyond and seems to function normally. Once the tractor has been at PTO speed and gone through the screeching bit, it will not do it again. Engine oil, hydraulic oil, and antifreeze levels are all within acceptable ranges and even the time I ground hay for about an hour under heavy load it didn't even get to the upper end of the green range.

Depending on the responses I get here, to diagnosis it better, my next stop would be to remove the crank coupler to the hydraulic pump and fan belt to see if it could be isolated to the motor, then put the fan belt back on, then finally reconnect the coupler in attempts to identify the noise.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)