AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got my red letter in the mail yesterday....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 1/21/2017 18:02 (#5784172 - in reply to #5783495)
Subject: RE: Got my red letter in the mail yesterday....

Nevada, Iowa
I write this only as a way to voice my personal opinion, not as an attack against anything you have stated.

In my opinion, there is little to compare with the Starlink debacle. The end result may have been the same although I tend to disagree with that too. Starlink was "never"approved for human consumption when it found it's way into the food chain. To my knowledge, EPA had given approval to both the Viptera and Duracde events from Syngenta and anyone who planted them were fully aware of the export limitations that came with those events. I think that much of the Starlink infiltration came from producers planting contaminated hybrids and weren't even aware of the potential problem until long after harvest.

That was the situation in my case and I had to take measures to channel the corn produced in such a manner that it could only be processed as feed for livestock. It has been 16 years ago and I still don't feel very comfortable talking about it. I was unwittingly sold 12 bags of corn contaminated with Starlink that ultimately contaminated 15000 bu. of my production.

I am not involved in the Syngenta suit and I will not be. I won't be critical of anyone that pursues the suit. I don't think Syngenta depressed the prices I received for grain and I am not sure that Starlink did at that time. Like many, I think the lawyers will benefit the most from this action and the net result will be higher priced seed and / or increased monopoly of the seed production business. That is only my opinion. But when Starlink is compared to Viptera and Duracade it just doesn't fit well in my mind.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)