AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How pre chems work in heavy residue... cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 1/5/2017 06:32 (#5745464 - in reply to #5744731)
Subject: RE: How pre chems work in heavy residue... cover crops

SE IA
cyclone21 - 1/4/2017 18:47

We went out with 2,4-D, glyphosate, 5 oz. Verdict and 5 oz. Outlook in mid-April on a rye/wheat cover going to soybeans. Our thoughts were that all the green tissue caught and metabolized much of the Outlook leaving little in the soil to keep the weeds from emerging. Attached is an image of a skip where the cover is still growing with little difference in weed control compared to the rest of the field. Ended up coming back with glyphosate and Warrant, and a third trip with Cobra.

This year we're planning to go out with 2 oz. Zidua in late March in a wheat cover going to soybeans when there's still a lot of soil showing. Planning to plant green, then burning down with glyphosate and Warrant. Trip #3 will likely be glyphosate and Cobra or Engenia. Pretty expensive program, but I think that's what it may take to stay clean.

I think encapsulated pre's will play a key role in managing weeds in cover crop systems. After this experience, I would be hesitant to use just any pre when spraying on a green cover.

That looks pretty good considering your rates of outlook there. It was probably gone after your first half inch of rain. You can't sit there and bash a program when you don't give the program a chance. That's such a wimpy amount of outlook. You can apply 20 oz of outlook (you are getting a little in the verdict)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)