AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If your building a new house (warning long post)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 12/3/2018 20:35 (#7146986 - in reply to #5723236)
Subject: RE: If your building a new house (warning long post)

Nw Iowa
I agree, we started with a architect and ended up with a builders wife doing our plans. Architect didn't listen to what we were telling him and got carried away trying to design a dream home that nobody could afford. I think he told us he would have home designed for around 5000, that came and went and finally I said no more.
We were the general but hired some local carpenters with a good reputation. So framing and siding, roofing and sheet rock all went very well. Built our home when the housing crisis hit so our designer recommended a interior carpenter who was fantastic. A year later things were still slow so we hired him to build cabinets and finish the basement. Also got lucky with finish painters who were out of work also. Cement guy was excellent, bid basement cheap because he had another big project fall thru. Had a few goofballs , foam guy smelled way too much of his foam and Geo thermal guy bid a furnace for house half as big. Had a few subs who couldn't remember what they bid or what they were going to do. Had a guy from Arkansas do all my floor tile, a real hoot. All in all quite a experience that would want to do again but wife and I are still married and love our home. Got a few quirks and would have changed a few things. We were lucky that we lived in a temporary place close to new house so I was checking things out every day.
If I was going to do it again I would hire a general as it took us over a year from start to finish but we weren't in a big hurry. As short as contractors are today I don't think I would have same luck today with subs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)