AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bale processor? Tub grinder?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 12/5/2016 20:06 (#5678424 - in reply to #5678322)
Subject: RE: Bale processor? Tub grinder?

I hate bale feeders. You spend all summer "trying" to put up the best quality hay you can and even if everything goes right it's disheartening seeing all the waste. Even with good quality hay I'd venture to say waste is close to 30%, and then if you get some marginal stuff put up or worse yet poor stuff it gets worse from there.

Another thing I hate about the feeders is you throw a bale or 2 in them depending on size, I have both single and double and they're all standing there fighting and pushing each other trying to get access to the bale right now.

That's why I got a bale processor on order, wish I had it here already. Got a lot of 1 year old marginal stuff to feed and it will be nice for bedding as well. Plus I won't have to kill myself trying to be during calving in the spring spending hours a day putting bedding down with the loader and pitchfork. I got one with a grain tank so you can supplement them with some grain or something to add condition or make them clean it up better. I'm going to feed on the ground and into bottomless bunks.

I use to use the tubgrinder to feed that type of hay but that isn't cheap either and it always drove me nuts cause after about 10 days in the pile (especially in the spring with huge temp along with moisture) the green would seem to disappear out of they hay and to me that's lost nutritional value.

Yes with a tubgrindrr you can mix different kinds of grades of hay, it works ok. It's how I got started feeding cows, I fed a lot of straw and alfalfa mixed together but the cows never seemed to do as good as I thought they should compared to if they were on Grass hay or something. Plus with our winds it seemed like a good portion of the stockpiled chopped hay blew away (I'm over exaggerating but there were times if the pile didn't have a day to settle before wind came in that a decent percent blew away.)

Edited by GregChuckles 12/5/2016 20:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)