AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Of economics, profits, and science
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jackrabbit
Posted 11/30/2016 12:42 (#5666686 - in reply to #5665493)
Subject: RE: Of economics, profits, and science

East Central SD
You say "There is no one best method". I would disagree. I think there is a perfect system. We may not know what it is or it might not even be developed yet but that is all irrelevant. We don't have to be perfect. What is important is doing the best we can. By saying that, using excuses like "I don't know" or "I don't care" aren't valid excuses when saying "I was doing the best I can".

For example, one thing I am always amazed at is how many look at notill and profitability as being mutually exclusive. Granted, much of SD is probably suited especially well for notill but if I was an "average" farmer in Iowa I would be start to pay attention. There are many farmers in SD farming much further west than myself with average farm yields higher than the state of Iowa and doing it with poorer soils, less water, and essentially no erosion. And I will guarantee you they aren't worried about short-term profitability. They are building their farms for the long-term and all of the sudden the profit side of the equation becomes surprisingly "easy".

The examples are out there for all of us to learn and do better. All we have to do is pay attention.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)