AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2x2 Starter Fertilizer Plot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 10/26/2016 10:17 (#5600937 - in reply to #5600676)
Subject: RE: 2x2 Starter Fertilizer Plot

Southeast WI
Glad you posted this data and very nice to see a well run REPLICATED field trial. Good size for each strip, too. I know many won't download your data, but it's easy to see why we have to replicate treatments to get some good data. 16 bpa or so swing across the plot from strip to strip is pretty big and it does happen so this is why I'm so critical of the "side by sides" guys post.

One thing I've found from my own plots and from UW data - in a warm, full season we will see little if any response to starter with opt to excessive soil test values. Get a cool year like 2009 where corn really didn't finish out and you can bump yield by 15+ bpa. Here over time starter is about a break even proposition, here. However, when starter isn't used it can induce other nutrient deficiencies like Zinc or Boron and even make Sulfur defic worse - even when those nutrients aren't included in the starter. Bigger root systems early on just reach more micros in the soil. I saw this several years ago when a few rows plugged on the planter for myself and for another client.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)