AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oats Cover Crop in Soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 10/24/2016 07:32 (#5597314 - in reply to #5597265)
Subject: RE: Oats Cover Crop in Soybeans

North Central Illinois
I think they are going to end up in the upper 30's or low 40's. Not at all disappointing for a June 30 planting date. This field wasn't planned to be soybeans this year, but I decided to cut the oats for silage after half the field lodged. I wasn't sure that was the right choice, but we had plenty of rain in August and September was warmer than usual. Better to be lucky than good.

In hindsight, I should have cut the oats 3 weeks earlier though. I had a small patch at one end of this field that had a lot of lambs quarter and a few patches of Canada thistle, so I had the cattle graze those oats off and I planted soybeans in early June. Those are yielding about 50% better. I can't say it is all planting date though, because I used a different variety and the forage removed was returned immediately as cow pies. Also the worst lodging of any of my beans.

I had planned to plant an alfalfa/orchardgrass mix in August after threshing the oats, but that clearly didn't happen. So, I will do that in the spring with an oats nurse crop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)