AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How does eBay work when you are a seller?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

00rooster
Posted 9/25/2016 16:17 (#5548347)
Subject: How does eBay work when you are a seller?

I've bought numerous items on it with 99% satisfaction, but never actually sold anything.

Specifically I'm curious if it costs money to list an item, because I see so many people list things for ridiculous amounts of money+ shipping that they will never sell or get an offer at that price I have two small boys who are getting into Legos and Star Wars, so I have been watching eBay for deals on Legos sets because I enjoy building the stuff as much as they do.

There are thousands and thousands of sets for sale(plenty of supply), and I typically look at the items that are almost ended(less than 24 hours). Yet many 99 out of 100 items will end without a single bid on them, and then they just get re-listed over and over. Occasionally you'll see a set start with a low reserve get bids, and they end far below the asking price of other identical sets.

There is actually a website that even will list what the typical value of a used set is, and it's typically 50% of what they are asking for on eBay. Do these people actually sell anything? Most of the sellers are not people cleaning out their storage units, but rather people who have eBay businesses. How can you have a business without moving merchandise? What is the point? Sometimes items are listed that will cost more than a new item you can buy at any store....how can they expect to sell anything? It seems clear to me the supply of sets for sale far exceeds the demand for the item(at THAT price anyhow). Seems to me there are a lot of people who can't understand the concept of supply and demand.

So far patience pays well, and I've found a few deals,but having to see the same item re-listed over and over for 6 months gets old. They list it for $20, and they be lucky to get $5. For many sets there are 15-20 identical sets for sale on any given day, none of which got a single bid.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)