AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Continued- Silage bagger comparison vs bag size and feed out.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cldairy
Posted 8/31/2016 04:39 (#5500740 - in reply to #5499324)
Subject: RE: Continued- Silage bagger comparison vs bag size and feed out.

west michigan
I've never used a uni press, but the versa baggers are good. On the 8 foot bagger you shouldn't have any problems if you got a 90-100 hp tractor on it. The 10 foot I would try to get at least 120 hp on it. We run a 10 foot ag bagger with a 100 hp cih 5140, runs it ok. Biggest thing is if you don't have a big tractor, you just won't be able to unload quite as fast, but still should pack fine.

I don't think you will get a ton per foot in an 8 foot bag. Takes a 9 foot bag to do that, about a ton and a half per foot in a 10 footer. However, you should get more than 210 feet out of a 250' bag. Shouldn't lose much more than about 10' on each end.

I have a friend who feeds 25 cows plus some heifers and dry cows out of 10' bags and seems to get along ok. It requires excellent face management when using 12 inches or less per day. One trick is to use a rope with heavy weights tied to each end and hang it over the bag just behind the face. This helps keep air from penetrating under the top of the plastic when feeding or when you get wind blowing at it. It will help prevent spoilage on the outside edge.

I think i would go with the 10 foot if i was in your shoes, especially if you can use at least a ton per day. If not, an eight foot week be more forgiving if it's packed well. Either way, you'll have less feed exposed to air than in a sixteen foot silo
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)