AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do plants adapt to future weather?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 8/1/2016 10:57 (#5444319 - in reply to #5444266)
Subject: RE: Do plants adapt to future weather?

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge

The reason I ask, is many Western Canadian farmers are commenting on how short the flowering period was for Canola this summer.  And my little corner has had nearly ideal cool wet weather since flowering started( and record dry before that).  Canola is a very non determinate plant, it can grow nearly unlimited branches per plant and pods per branch, many more than it needs, usually aborting many of them as conditions allow.  As conditions improve, it can even start making more again.  Recovery after hail is amazing as new branches suddenly pop out of nowhere.  So I was wondering if these plants are are all seeing the same signs and know they need to shut down earlier this year due to forthcoming weather?  Seems improbable considering that they will continue to have regrowth and flowers after harvest, or right into November last year and those obviously had no chance of becoming viable seeds.

This spring, record early, warm and dry.  The trees had leaves a full month ahead of normal, lots of plants growing much too soon too.  I thought they were all going to be froze, and regret their decision, but nothing fatal( highly abnormal)  So they were right. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)