AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Holland 5070 small square baler
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 7/28/2016 18:47 (#5437585 - in reply to #5437371)
Subject: RE: New Holland 5070 small square baler

northeastern Ohio
I don't do as many bales as I used to, but I love the 5070. They are a hay/straw eating beast! Biggest changes that they made from the 575:

1) Moved the star wheel about 6 inches back. This makes the bales more consistent in length due to less influence from the plunger.

2) Moved the pickup drive belt to the outside so that you don't have to tear half the baler apart to install a new belt (I'm still on the original but I've broke them on my old 575).

3) Shield over the plunger is larger which gives easier access.

4) Bigger twine box holds 8 balls of twine

Weak points (not deal breakers, but hopefully someone at NH will read this):

1) the adjustable drawbar hitch has 4 bolts with nuts welded inside (same setup they have used for years). The nut welds break and then the bolts eventually work their way loose.

2) thrower bearings seem to be failing way too soon. They are Fafnir bearings and the race that the locking collar locks onto will crack. The bearing then spins out and ruins the shaft.

3) hydraulic lift bracket on the pickup is too flimsy. Always use the manual lockup when traveling so that you don't stress the bracket on the hyd lift. It is a pain to weld it back together (upside down and not much room to work).

Edited by Jay NE Ohio 7/28/2016 18:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)