AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advice for autosteer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 7/29/2016 11:32 (#5438943 - in reply to #5435983)
Subject: RE: Advice for autosteer

Leesburg, Ohio
I think all 30 series tractors already have an integrated sterring valve, so you should already have a big part of an integrated system.

As I replied on your question in another forum, we have had other after-market systems (EZsteer and Outback). We wasted almost $30,000 before we finally figured out that we should just buy the Deere system designed for our tractors.

Whether red or green, buying a system that is designed for your equipment makes everything work better, and is easier to upgrade and add features.

The most important part of any system is the part that pays the bills. That is section control. I thought we would save about 8% in seed and chemicals. Turns out we are saving almost 15% overall. (But we do have mostly odd-shaped fields.)

You will not find a system that works better than Deere for section control, boom height, automatically finding the line after turning on the ends, or compensating for implement drift on hills and curves. Yes, you can spend a ton of money for implement guidance, but Deere does it really well with their standard system.

A "Brown-box" and matching receiver will be cheaper and will do guidance very well, but I would suggest going to at least a 2600 screen and ITC receiver. The brown box system is getting rapidly out-dated and will not support section control, and section control is what will pay the bill. If you can swing it, a 2630 screen and 3000 receiver is even better. The Deere standard (free) SF1 signal is good enough to plant with, and is way better than WAAS (which is that standard signal on most other systems).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)