AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How often do you check your cattle out on grass?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

daddycal
Posted 7/27/2016 08:54 (#5434890 - in reply to #5434862)
Subject: RE: How often do you check your cattle out on grass?

Montana
I grew up in Montana Mountain Country and it is so interesting how Cattle will roam all summer and then when first snow hits, they move down country and bunch up and I remember leading them with hay and almost every one would follow to holding pastures. I worked on a yearling operation in the Bridger canyon below Bridger Bowl Ski area and we summered 900 yearlings. When it was time to gather and ship, I talked the boss into leading with hay and it was amazing how when a group will follow, the others follow too. We had to cross a highway and we would spread hay on the asphalt and that helped to get them across. One thing with yearlings is that if you can run a few Pairs with them. The good old cows know the way and show the Way and are more inclined to follow.
It was interesting that year as we did a lot of gentle treating sick by trailing them home to the Corral and chute to treat them and then we isolated those who had been sick to a meadow pasture, not back to the herd. I had to do that because I am not a good roper and the Bosses daughters did not rope but they were very good and patient at trailing steers with foot problems, to the highway and home.
We brought the 900 steers in 85 pounds over what the Boss projected and he had to take a slide but I know he was happy with my gentle approach to gathering and moving the yearlings.

We had days when we would get 4 to 8 inches of sleet and it was colder than a witches heart. My leather chaps would double in weight and my slicker would cause me to sweat and feel colder. It was a few of those days that I was happy to take a pickup and lead the steers and it was amazing how they followed. The key to leading is you have to throw off a little to keep the leaders inspired. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)