AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

J.D. Maximerge: Advice for a rookie buyer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

afn5656
Posted 7/21/2016 09:38 (#5423204 - in reply to #5422793)
Subject: RE: J.D. Maximerge: Advice for a rookie buyer

NE KS
The cracks mentioned on the row unit shanks will be either near the tru-vee spindles or near the top by the seed tube opening. I did see one that was cracking above where the closing wheel tail attaches.

I've gotten along pretty well with sharktooth row cleaners, but I also like the job our martin row cleaners do on the other planter.

Stalks can stop drive and row chains, so pro drive is nice if no tilling in stalks. Otherwise it's not too much hassle lubing and replacing chains periodically, and most farm stores carry chains and connectors.

Check for wear in the parallel linkage and closing wheel setups.

I prefer vacuum, because I'm more familiar with it, and it just works. That being said brush meters and finger pickup can do as well as long as they are maintained. Also lower hydraulic demand and not listening to vac motors is nice.

Local soil conditions will dictate what closing setups to use. See what the neighbors like/dislike.

Main thing is to remember you are buying based on condition. A planter ran over tilled ground while having more acres may show far less wear than one pulled thru no tilled rough ground.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)