AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for experienced cover croppers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 5/18/2016 18:15 (#5308825 - in reply to #5307098)
Subject: RE: ? for experienced cover croppers

lawfarms - 5/17/2016 18:38
mhagny - 5/17/2016 19:03

kevkath - 5/17/2016 15:24 Looking at rotating some wheat ground to corn and soybeans for next year. Would like to plant a cover that I could lightly graze if possible. How does a person manage this without keeping a green bridge for wheat diseases? I am not only concerned about my own wheat but also my good neighbors.

if you have only broadleaf species in your mix, you can spray with clethodim or Assure and do a decent job suppressing the volunteer.

what works even better is to grow sudan or pearl millet, which will completely shade out volunteer wheat if the stand of those cover crops is adequate.  If there are some gaps, you can spray atrazine & COC to kill the volunteer.

Or spray out the volunteer a couple times in the summer, and drill cereal rye about the time the first people in the area start drilling wheat.

Ummm... I don't like the idea of planting a grass like pearl millet or Sudan and then planting corn. atrazine sprayed after June 10th you can't plant beans next year....

Yes, in Missouri, pearl millet to corn would be troublesome almost every year, unless you went in and planted vetch into the pearl millet after it frost-kills.  The OP was north-central KS, so my rotations were for that area or similar.

Never heard that about atz.  We break that rule every year.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)