AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiling in Cisne/Bluford soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 5/13/2016 18:57 (#5299804 - in reply to #5298889)
Subject: 20 years of results here

C IL
Yes I have. I have tested it on 100, 80, 50, 40, 25-20 and 17' spacings. Starting 20 years ago.

I think the soil does 'seal over' after a couple of years, but then reaches a steady-state drainage corresponding to the recommended spacing. It seems weird to see surface ponding almost over a tile line, but we find a ripper, at least initially/periodically, is important. We run as deep as 16 inches.

Dr. Cooke (UIUC Extension drainage engineer) recommends 4" tile because of silting concerns over the 50-100yr lifespan. He thinks you can use 3" tile on 2% or better grades, but of course that isn't Bluford, is it?

I see more silt buildup than in the black soils, but I think that is more due to slope than soil infiltration/soil composition. Also hard to avoid a small bump or two when installing at 0.08-0.1% grades. Having said that, I am casually researching knife-cut tile for our next semi load of tile here. I think a sock is overkill.

Dr. Cooke (UIUC Extension drainage engineer) recommends 4" tile because of silting/capacity concerns over the 50-100yr lifespan. He thinks you can use 3" tile on 2% or better grades, but of course that isn't Bluford, is it?

The spacing is a big deal on these tighter soils. Recommended spacing for 3/8" DC is 17' at 30" deep using IL Drainage Guide, or about 1/4" DC for 20-22'. You can theoretically go deeper with wider spacings, but that is pretty mucky clayey stuff down there 36 and 40 inches deep.

At 34' spacing instead of 17', you get 1/4 the water release rate from the soil, so you go to 1/4 of a 3/8" DC - not a recipe for happiness. Worse as you go to 50-100' spacings. I have the pictures of the wavy corn tall over a tile line and knee-high in between to prove it. I think your best bet is just to put in the recommended spacing on less acres, if capital is an issue. Then at least you have one farm you can do something with. If you don't believe that, at least put it in on 30-35' spacing, so you can split it later.

I am interested to see the results of Beck's new plot on Cisne tile spacing in Effingham they just put in last winter. Certainly been a good spring to test it.

Finally, I have been considering gypsum for the purported soil structure benefits for 'loosening up' tiled ground. Have yet to test any, but a new local salesperson was advertising the benefits of gypsum around here late last summer.

Like you, we have the tile bug. We bought a plow, IntelliSlope, and a mini, so I guess we are invested beyond the cost of the plastic. Expensive and hard work, but it was rewarding to put in corn on the tiled ground early and watch it grow, while the rest of the untiled fields grow yellow rocket and henbit. And cheaper to improve owned land than chase high rent and high dollar sales.

Edited by sand85 5/13/2016 18:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)