AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shelborne stripper header
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bgf
Posted 5/6/2016 05:13 (#5285277)
Subject: Shelborne stripper header

SE Virginia
Will stainless fingers on a shelborne stripper header reduce header loss?

I have an older header with the plastic fingers. The corners are rounded, but not excessively worn. The hole at the base of the fingers is not oblong. I am running 6 MPH + in SRW wheat, 65-85 BPA. I usually start around 15-16 % moisture and run 520 rotor RPM, sometimes drop to 480 as it dries out. I have no problem stripping the kernels out of the head, but feel like I get too much rotor loss. I have always thought that stripping the kernels out and leaving the head on the straw is optimum, which is what I am doing until it gets dry, then it takes the entire head off. Most folks around here that run a stripper have a newer model with the stainless fingers. Some run them cupped up (recommended for rice, I think), some cupped down. I have been running a stripper for years, but setting it has been trial and error, no dealer expertise around here. I have always thought I got too much rotor loss but the increased harvest speed and better DC soybean stand/yields made it worth it. I don't want to spend the $ if it isn't going to pay back, but I could sure use more grain in the bin instead of in the field.

Can I reduce header loss by going to the stainless fingers? Cupped up or down? any other recommendations?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)