AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you handle bulls?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

KDK Herefords
Posted 4/28/2016 13:41 (#5269368 - in reply to #5269138)
Subject: RE: How do you handle bulls?

East Central, IA
I feel your pain. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing bulls tear up 300 dollar gates, 200 dollar panels, or another $7500 bull. I've done it ever which way I can think of and I've come to the realization that I don't even try it without adequate help who are good hands (not just any old kid off the street) and a really good set of working pens. I've also found that the wind, weather and the moon phase changes things. Laugh all you want...

I've also found that getting bulls under roof changes the dynamic a little bit too. I realize this is impossible in most situations, especially in the sorting pens, but putting our chute and a couple smaller pens inside was the best thing ever. Our bulls are used to horses and I've found that they tend to respect me horseback more than they respect me afoot. I would much rather be horseback in a big pen of bulls than always looking for an escape route on foot.

Not sure I helped you at all, but I sure know what you are saying. Just don't put a greenhorn in there who can get hurt easily or get you hurt. Let us know how it goes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)