AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need advice on dog training
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 2/6/2016 16:33 (#5092669 - in reply to #5091475)
Subject: RE: Need advice on dog training

south east Indiana
Jordan not unusual for a dog to be concerned. Especially so if we have worked for the last __ months on keeping him out of cattle and now all of sudden want him to help. Alot of barking and running up to fence is due to concern/fear/ being unsure. Many people think it is them being protective - not usually the case. I start taking my pups to stock as soon as they start wanting to go. I teach them an excellent call off first in the house, then yard then on stock in a small space so I can enforce the recall. Once I have that we are ready to work. Before they are wanting to work I teach the pups to stay with me out in the pasture, hopefully before instincts are kicked in telling them something different.

Aussies enjoy driving so that is where I would start, first on say a 20 ft line with calves as small as possible- no Pairs - then gradually increase the distance you are away from the dog. First next to, then off to both sides and then off to the sides and behind a bit. Help push cattle if she hesitates, she will figure it out. My walk up command is "Walk up" You can ask for a stop, I prefer a stand on cattle since they can get out the way faster if need be. SHe should ALWAYS be watching the cattle not you> So no hand signals, if she is watching you she is not paying attention to the cattle. Do not call her BACK to you so that she is turning her butt to the stock and giving ground - 1 the cattle feel they win, 2 they can take advantage of that. When you call her off make sure you are to the side and at least to her shoulder or a step or two ahead of her shoulder. That way she leaves cattle and can still see and feel them. Never call her off with cattle facing her. Always if possible have her stand her ground till you get up there to help her turn their heads away from her and move off. This will help her gain confidence and let her know she can count on you. I always try to put the dog in training in a situation where it can WIN. If the dog looses or gets worried and leaves of backs off you have to encourage her to keep going till she wins. Sometimes not possible but that is why I start in a smaller area with a few stock unless I have an older dog capable of being the back up.

Tone is huge so listen to yourself when asking her things or working with her. Sometimes you have to let them get a bit overzealous and super keen to build confidence then you use little corrections to keep control
Hope that helps/ bring her up sometime
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)