AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with government regs on Tiling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Whats Up
Posted 1/25/2016 09:42 (#5062310)
Subject: Help with government regs on Tiling

I have no flat ground with 95% of my field having drainage with natural elevation so tiling has never been an issue here and can not find anyone with in 60 miles of me that has ever put in tile. Years ago farmers would use grass water ways in the fields so that would protect erosion from all of our natural drainage, and also with a good sod base I could drive through/over these areas with equipment and not get stuck.

Now with the current ways of farming and Round Up getting sprayed multiple passes and drift I have no grass water ways left and have been trying to farm through these low drainage areas. On drier years I can usually get through and seed but almost always get a big enough rain event to kill or hurt these areas, and on wet years cant get close to them and track up the field and leave roots.

I approached local FSA offices who sent me right to the NRCS office and they do not want to even hear the word TILE. They made a field visit and recommended that I seed water ways to round up ready alfalfa (that way I would not kill with roundup drift). I told them that we now have RR resistant weeds and 2-4D or Banvel drift is worse then round up so alfalfa is not an option.

After that they gave me the run around that they are so backed up that it will literally take years to get everything approved and I get the feeling they were going to keep any projects I had in mind on the bottom of their list for ever.

When I asked how other counties (a couple hundred miles from here where there is lots of tiling done) handle this work load they told me that farmers hire private consultants to get paper work done and make sure that it is not a wetland. That is all they would say and wouldn't give me any other details.

My main question is where can I learn to do this myself, and figure out how to get everything approved on my own since I have nobody close by to contact.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)