AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone use only urea for corn nitrogen needs ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 1/1/2016 23:04 (#5004425 - in reply to #5004395)
Subject: RE: Does anyone use only urea for corn nitrogen needs ?

Mid-Michigan
GrainTrader - 1/1/2016 22:44

I use urea and AMS. I will either fly on or late season top dress more urea late in the season.

I use 100-200# of AMS along with my pre plant urea.

i can confidently say I will put my yields up against my neighbors using other forms of N. My N program is pretty easy IMO. Nitrogen is spread with dry fertilizer in the spring and worked in before planting. Essentially that N app is free when you figure the dry Fert is already being spread.
For $7 I can have a row crop spreader apply my top dress later then folks can side dress AA. I like having that N there late season to finish off the corn. If the row crop spreader cannot be lined up for around $20 a plane is called in. This cost more, but I'm on the fence that it isn't a better option in regards to getting the N on later during the prime time the plant is using and needing N.

Just my thoughts... I'm
Not really anti AA, or 28/32%. I just like the way my program works. I'm very open to ideas and have used other programs.

Curious about the late season n application. Is this needed? Have you done any comparisons? I'm going to bump up my n a touch this year but I haven't been deficient in the past according to tissue tests. We averaged 223 last year (perfect growing year). Are you getting a positive return for doing all that? Besides some guys side dressing with as or 28, nobody does what you (and several others on here) do in my area. Not critical, just curious if I'm leaving bushels out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)