AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anhydrous, warm temps, and rain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

west illini
Posted 12/24/2015 09:04 (#4983649 - in reply to #4983326)
Subject: RE: Anhydrous, warm temps, and rain

IL
I apologize, I should have explained more. Late nite, and brain went into neutral
I was late getting started applying, so didn't get going till after it rained, then had a inch of frost on the ground. ( didn't want you to think I wasn't watching soil temps). Was only getting a tank a day on before it thawed out and got messy, till the last couple days I ran good. ( under the surface soil was working good, sealing good and mellow). Then rained out again. I had 2 tanks without nserve, for comparison of yields. The rest with, with the objective of having the N stabilized longer in the spring.

Have very little if any ponding ( yes have been watching), and put more shallow surface ditches to help with that( even though tiled)
I've been trying spring strips with 32%since 2006. Took me too long to relize I was putting too much in the band ahead of the planter ( killed seed germ). So tried having sidedressing done last yr custom, following my strips of 30% of the N applied, as I run short on time by myself. It NEVER was actually dry enough to do a good job of sidedressing. It was muddy when it was done, even on tile. When it did get dry enough, areas of the field would have needed a tall rig, and they were busy doing herbicide apps. ( sorry, my acres do not justify my own tall rig). And yes, the corn just didn't reach it. Waist and chest high corn does not have much of a root system, when the soil has no O2 for the roots to grow
Have been working on this whole situation for 10 yrs. I have been wanting to switch to all spring N, but fall N just works here. I am still splitting though. part in the fall, part in the spring strip

Yes, I do want to do my own tile monitoring. Where does one find the kits/info to get it done?

I understand your thoughts, and have a lot of things I am sorting out to make things more "environmentally friendly". But in the mean time, I have to make money, while making that transition

Edited by west illini 12/24/2015 09:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)