AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

160-170 bushel corn ground cash rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 12/17/2015 18:38 (#4967535 - in reply to #4967264)
Subject: RE: 160-170 bushel corn ground cash rent

EC Nebraska
You said you have sandy soils. I'm guessing you don't have go week after week of unable to drive across your fields in the spring. That is reality for me. I get a couple days to drive on some fields per spring and that's it until the crop and weeds are too tall to work.

Organic is fine where it works. I'm glad it works for you. It doesn't work as well here. (by a year of covers/ green manure I meant an entire year devoted to weed control and nitrogen fixation. No cash crops of any kind)

I've sent samples of my grain in for feed testing, just to see how nutritious it is. They've come back with mineral and nutrient levels way above the standards used for ration formulation. So I think I'm producing high quality grain in an environmentally responsible manner. (erosion is pretty well under control on my ground and soil OM is slowly increasing while fertilizer use per bushel of grain is decreasing). And then I read the organic marketing campaign which promotes itself by saying I'm producing "nutritionally empty grain that destroys the environment." It's a pack of lies. Do you understand how it might rankle a bit?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)