AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Final plot update: write ups and scores
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 11/29/2015 16:07 (#4926679)
Subject: Final plot update: write ups and scores

McLeod County, MN

1.  This is in order of planting across my field east to west
2.  The higher the N score the more N I think each hybrid would have benefited (high score means N user- not good)
3.  Download XCEL sheet at the end of this post to see all scores
4.  Not figured into ROI is the quality of service that each dealer provided.  That is worth A LOT to me!  I like feedback, questions, and especially visits and phone calls.  Hard for me to improve anything if I dont have anyone else looking at it to tell me what I am doing right or wrong.  
5.  Anyone that can figure out how to post the xcel data on here how I have it done feel free.
6.  As always, this is my scores, opinion and experience from my soil and management style this ONE (outstanding) growing season.  Your mileage may vary greatly.  

Titan Pro 39-98ss-
This hybrid came out of the ground quickly and had good early growth. It was a shorter statured plant with wider leaves that were quite upright. Good mid season stalks and roots led to a little greensnap as plants were stiff. It was very consistent down the row until around Sept 1. It did not handle the late season disease pressure at all and was plagued by fusarium rot in the stalks and overall poor late season health. I am positive a fungicide application would have paid for itself. (203 BPA)

Renk 596ss- This hybrid came out of the ground slower than most and its early growth is not great by any means. However, by mid season this hybrid evened up and displayed very solid agronomic characteristics that held up all the way until harvest. It was standing tall with great ear retention all the way until the combine took it. I was very sorry to see this one go as it was a real pleasure to scout at the end of the season. It had some very girthy ears and good staygreen along with a skinny pink cob and zero greensnap. It likes well drained BLACK soil. I would keep this hybrid in the correct RM zone. I dont think it moves south too well. One of my favorite. (223.8 BPA)

Pioneer 9929ss- The emergence I got out of this hybrid was slow, but once it got out of the ground it took off like a rocket. It was the first to silk in the entire plot. I did have some minor issues with the stand. It wasnt as picket-fence consistent as others, but I blame it on the VERY LARGE seed size and my keaton seed firmers dragging the seed a little. This led to a little uneven emergence as well. This hybrid has a lot of 12-14 kernel cobs, but the kernels are massive and they fill to the tip. There was a little sprayer blight I noted on this one coming across the field and some of the late season wind took some plants over, but I was able to get them with the combine (minor). It had a slight touch of greensnap, and the late season health was better than some of the other P stuff I have planted in the past. I dont think it handles wet feet particularly well. (208.2 BPA)

Wensman 90994ss- This large hybrid gets a good start out of the ground with good early growth. It is a little greensnap and root lodge prone as it has big wide upright leaves and is tall to catch lots of wind. I would recommend high fertility well-drained ground for this one. The leaves on this hybrid showed visual K deficiency symptoms long before others in the plot. It did very good across both soil types I had it on and it has a long flex ear. Late season stalks and plant health was pretty favorable. I think this one would yield the exact same at 28,000 as it would at anything higher. Seems a little longer than 99 RM. Plant as a full season hybrid for our zone. (216.2 BPA)

Dekalb 49-72ss- There is really nothing bad I can say about this thing other than the price. It was a rocket out of the ground, had great early season growth, picket fence stand, good late season health, and standing tall at harvest. For sure it likes blacker soils, and I am sure would be a great choice for early planting. Ears were not very long, but they were fat. If it would have had a little better ear retention nothing would have beat it. One of my top 3 all season long for sure. (221.5 BPA)

Peterson 81w95ss- This hybrid looked great all season. It was good out of the ground, good early growth, pretty favorable stand, nice looking cobs all the way to around Sept 1. Then the late season disease pressure came in and just disintegrated the stalks. There was nothing left of them, and the ear quality suffered greatly cause of it. The ears it did retain were extremely impressive. I am pretty sure a fungicide app would have greatly benefited this hybrid. This hybrid is the exact same thing as Renk 522. Surprisingly it was standing nicely at harvest even with the weak stalks. (202.7 BPA)

LG 5460ss- This hybrid was slower than most to emerge, but had pretty good early growth. By the time it silked it had picket-fence consistency down the rows and looked great. Its stalk is its weakness. The mid season wind did not beat it up at all cause the stalk flexed enough that it didnt break, and the strong roots kept it anchored so there was no lodging. However, the day before harvest was not kind to it. Some of it was really blown over, but I got most of it into the combine. If you plant it plan to harvest early. (215 BPA)

Renk 522ss- Same as Peterson 81w95 variety code 1061183 (204.7 BPA)

Titan Pro 58-95ss- I have to admit I was really surprised how well this hybrid finished. It was slow and uneven out of the ground, especially on the Le Seur soil in the plot. The early growth was slow and it was battered by the mid season winds. It compensated for the low stand with a large flex ear and seemed to do better on well-drained black soil. At harvest some of the stalks were broken over from the wind, but I got most of it. This hybrid is great at producing a lot of grain, but manage in season agronomics appropriately. (212.4 BPA)

Dekalb 45-65ss- This hybrid was pretty darn solid all season. It is good out of the ground with good stalks. The roots arent the greatest, and when I got into the area of the plot were a little water stood I could tell right away. It does not like wet feet. It also seems to be a little greensnap prone and I would avoid spraying it with any type of growth regulator herbicide like I did. This one had the most greensnap of all the early hybrids, and I know it cost it some yield. There was very little root lodging out of this hybrid and it was standing nicely at harvest. (210.6 BPA)

Croplan 3611ss- This thing looked pretty good all year. It has above average emergence with good early growth and roots. The only thing I didnt really like was the below average late season stalk strength. Some of this stuff was laying on the ground when the combine rolled through. It does throw quite an impressive ear, and I wonder how it would have responded to a fungicide application. It did very well across both soil types that I had it on. The plants are tall and the ears are inserted pretty high. If you are going to plant it I would recommend harvesting this hybrid early as well. (224.7 BPA)

LG 5415ss- This one just like the other LG hybrid wasnt all that impressive out of the ground, but by mid season it looked like a picket fence across the field. By the time the combine rolled it had pretty darn good late season plant health and was standing nicely at harvest. Only thing is it is just a touch early for my liking, but would be a solid choice a little north of me. (209.5 BPA)

Golden Harvest 95D32 3111- This hybrid was quite unique all season. It is a very large leafy plant that did not come out of the ground very good for me at all, especially on the Le Seur soil type. It towered over its neighbors all season and did not handle the mid season wind very good (root lodge). There is too much plant on too little root here. It did set some of the best looking ears I have ever seen where plants were unharmed. By harvest, it was lodged in every direction and I was taking the top 3/4 of the plant through the combine. It has good test weight grain with very dark gold kernels. It did much better in my heavy black soil than it did across my little hilltop. (210.7 BPA)

Wensman 90962ss- This hybrid impressed me most of the season. It comes out of the ground nicely, had a great stand, very even and uniform. Ears were fat and filled to the tip. However towards the end it couldnt retain the ears. I think a fungicide app would have greatly benefited this hybrid and made it finish close to the top of everything. It was standing picture perfect at harvest and had almost no green snap or root lodging from the early season wind. I have to think this thing moves north quite nicely as it was one of the quickest hybrids to finish in the entire plot. I would say it acts more like a 92 RM. Solid choice for a workhorse. (213.9 BPA)

Wensman 9325ss- I probably dont need to say too much about this thing. It can be found in a Producers, Agrigold, LG, or Great Lakes Bag. It was the fastest out of the ground with awesome early season growth and a picket fence stand. It is a little bit light on mid season and late season agronomics, but it didnt get enough stress on my ground to fall apart. It sits near the top on many FIRST trials and corn grower plots. (225.5 BPA)

Gold Country 102-88ss- I went back and forth with this one all year. It was awesome out of the ground and with its early growth. The mid season wind was not kind too it as it had a fair amount of greensnap. Again I would avoid spraying this hybrid with a growth regulator herbicide like I did. Strong roots and strong stalks with exploding growth and high winds dont really mix that well. As for the cobs I was really disappointed to see how many kernels were aborted by this hybrid. The ears tipped back considerably, but it still finished very well. I wonder if there is something I could have done different. These ears were short and FAT. Definitely willing to give it another look. I think it has really high yield potential. (216.7 BPA)

Golden Harvest G01P52 3110a- This hybrid came out of the ground slower than most for me. I was expecting a little more from people that I had talked to that werent selling it. Once it got out of the ground it grew nicely. The downfall for this thing was its weak roots on that massive plant. This is one of the tallest hybrids I have ever seen. The mid season wind caused root lodging and was a yield robbing event. It does not do good on low OM ground, and should be placed on heavy well-drained black soils. In those spots it looked really good. Late season plant health was pretty good in this plot, and it showed N deficiency early August where others didnt. (209.9 BPA)

Dekalb 52-84ss- This thing was an absolute snail getting started for me. The stand was not good on this thing at all in this plot. If It would have been able to get off a full stand it would have been the highest yielder out there. If you are going to plant it next year do it with favorable emergence conditions in front of you. Once it got out of the ground it was an excellent corn. It is not a big plant it and has pretty good root system. It did really well against NCLB, GLS and fusarium in the stalk for me. It had very good late season agronomics and was standing nicely at harvest. (214.1 BPA)

Pioneer 0157amx- Here is another one that I had a love hate relationship with all year. It was a little on the slow side to come out of the ground. Once it got out it grew good and looked really nice until the mid season wind hit. That wind twisted it up and made it look ugly. Surprisingly it grew out of it quite nicely. Once again I am a firm believer that this thing should avoid being sprayed with a growth regulator herbicide. Some of the plants that were root lodged actually pulled themselves back up and finished quite nicely, but some never did quite recover. Late season plant health and agronomics on this thing were really good. It was standing very nice at harvest. Cobs dont look like much hanging on the plant, but the scale tells quite a different story. I think this is one of the best P corns for our area in quite some time. (215.2 BPA)

Titan Pro 53-03 2p- This thing was a snail out of the ground with uneven emergence and a little light on stand. By mid season it got twisted up by the wind pretty good. It has small roots, and it throws the brace roots late. By the time the combine ran through it was really twisted up. I was absolutely blown away by how high it yielded. This was my least favorite hybrid to visit all season. I think it was a little to far north for this thing, but if I am 60 miles south and have some well drained peat ground I might give it a shot. This hybrid has very long deep kernels on a skinny little cob and can yield with the best of them in optimal environment. (220.7 BPA)

Croplan 4099ss- My surprise dog of the season. I sure thought this thing would do a little better than it did. Some of its issues can be traced all the way back to emergence. It just didnt emerge nicely (even) like it has for me in previous years. The early emergers that towered over their neighbors had much larger ears and healthier plants all year. It did have very good late season stalks and not much for green snap. Just could never catch up from the poor start. Getting to be time to retire for this hybrid if you ask me. Same thing as LG 5470, Wensman 9288, Producers 5898, Great Lakes 4879, and some Agrigold stuff. (209.9 BPA)

(PICT0048.JPG)

(PICT0022.JPG)

(PICT0007.JPG)

(PICT0009.JPG)

(DSCN0009.JPG)

(DSCN0011.jpg)

(DSCN0012.jpg)

(IMG_0081.JPG)

(5-27-15.JPG)

(5-31-2015 (2).jpg)

(6-17-2015 plot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PLOT SCORES 2015.xls (26KB - 430 downloads)
Attachments PICT0048.JPG (95KB - 181 downloads)
Attachments PICT0022.JPG (108KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments PICT0007.JPG (111KB - 195 downloads)
Attachments PICT0009.JPG (139KB - 185 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0009.JPG (130KB - 188 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0011.jpg (152KB - 201 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0012.jpg (126KB - 225 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0081.JPG (168KB - 183 downloads)
Attachments 5-27-15.JPG (136KB - 196 downloads)
Attachments 5-31-2015 (2).jpg (169KB - 198 downloads)
Attachments 6-17-2015 plot.jpg (71KB - 192 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)