AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cotton is South Carolina question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nchobbyfarm
Posted 11/28/2015 08:25 (#4923985 - in reply to #4923739)
Subject: RE: Cotton is South Carolina question

Eastern North Carolina
After cotton bolls open, wet & warm weather will cause the seeds to sprout in the bolls which ruins the quality of the cotton fiber & also ruins the seeds from an oil pressing perspective.

So, the weather in the Southeast has been very poor for the cotton. Fiber/seed quality and not being able to get in the field has hurt cotton revenue this year in addition to the fact that prices were poor to begin with.

As for the bush hog by the field, they may or may not be shredding it. If you don't have a round baling picker, you have a picker, boll buggy (dump cart), module builder, and bush hog in the field at the same time. Each piece of equipment requires an operator & aside from the picker, a tractor to power it. After the picker makes its first few passes, you bush hog the stalks to make a landing area for the module builder & a spot for the boll buggy to dump. It's sort of like a logging operation, you build a "deck" to load the module builders & deposit the modules once they're built. So, they may have just been staging equipment.

I'll see if I can get a picture of all that going on if I get a chance. If someone has a drone, they'd be a great photo to show the non-cotton guys how it works.

Edited by nchobbyfarm 11/28/2015 08:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)