AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Engineering problem, or design problem, could use ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 11/26/2015 20:43 (#4921143 - in reply to #4920650)
Subject: RE: Engineering problem, or design problem, could use ideas

Your latch won't release nicely by itself. You could put two notches in the latch wheel and turn the axle a half turn to put the carriage wheels upside down.

What I did for my radial arm saw table that is 13 feet long is I put casters on all the legs. Then I bolted more 2x4 to the legs when not being moved those 2x4 set on other pieces of 2x to hold the casters off the floor. To move it I jack it at the balance point and take out the support blocks and lower it onto the casters. Then I can roll it anywhere on a flat floor, and lift it with the jack to put the support blocks back in place. I've only moved it a couple times in the last 20 years.

To make a metal lathe movable I put a fixed axle on one end of the table so it sits on those wheels. I planned but haven't yet mounted a caster on a hinge on the middle of the other end. That hinge has the pin horizontal and when turned down so the hinge plate with the caster is level the legs on that end of the lathe cabinet would be lifted. Might take some leverage to do that. Then I figured on a second hinge with the pin vertical to swing out and keep the caster hinge from rising.

Menard's and Northern Tool sell shop machine and table mobility kits. One scheme is to rest the tool or table on the casters, but add crank down supports to anchor it when the mobility isn't needed.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)