AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Early interseeded cover crops?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 11/14/2015 17:04 (#4896405)
Subject: Early interseeded cover crops?

I have been hearing widely ranging reports on the performance of early interseeded CCs this past summer.

By early interseeded, I mean planted before full canopy, often V4-V8 for corn.

some farmers have told me that their early interseeded CCs seemed to establish well but then died out except for where the corn stand was thin... others have described good establishment and survival.

the cover crops (ladino clover, mammoth red clover, medium red clover, sweet clover, berseem clover, crimson clover, Korean lespedeza, mustard/rapeseed/radish mix) that I hand seeded on 7/18 into late planted and then flood damaged corn did not amount to much.

> 3" of rain occurred within 12 hours after I broadcast the seed resulting in significant washing of seed out of the field and some ponding :(

The only species that established well was Korean lespedeza, a summer annual legume that I have never heard of anyone using for early interseeding.

If you tried early interseeding CCs this past summer, what CC species and methods of seed delivery/placement did you use and how did things work out?

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Edited by jbgruver 11/14/2015 17:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)