AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OneNote
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 11/15/2015 08:45 (#4897321 - in reply to #4894805)
Subject: RE: OneNote

Elmira, Ontario

I've been using OneNote for almost five years. It has replaced notebooks and scrap sheets of paper for me. I don't scratch the surface of what's possible with it though. Some highlights:

I have a "send to OneNote" button in Internet Explorer. I can add a web page to an existing OneNote page, or create a new page. This is how I capture some information that I like to have archives for. OneNote can easily turn that to a pdf then.

I drop meeting emails into a page and then add my notes to the same page.

I can collect multiple emails and copy/paste from other places to get my research notes into one spot for future reference. If I have an idea about something, I just quickly type it on the page for that topic so I don't forget it. I even have a page where I collect some significant quotes that I found interesting.

OneNote has decent search capabilities so I don't get hung up on naming and sorting/filing pages.

OneNote files can be stored anywhere. I keep my main notebook in the cloud. OneNote works on an off-line copy and synch's to the remote copy, almost at a per keystroke level. If the cloud copy isn't available, then it will update the cloud as soon as it becomes available.

If make editing changes to a page, a history version is kept. You almost have to try hard to lose something.

You can place a file in a shared location and have multiple people work from it. We use it as a flexible database to share information between staff. If someone is off sick, another person can pull up the information and carry on. It's easy to see who made changes, and which were new since the last time you looked at a page. This is also an easy way to have multiple devices (laptop, desktop, tablet, even phone as MS is doing a great job creating OneNote apps) and see the same information.

I've never used the handwriting recognition because i use it on a  laptop, but I first learned about OneNote from someone who gave rave reviews for using it on a touchscreen.

Bottom line is I know this program has made the way I like to work much easier. Some others like Evernote, but when I compared the two five years ago, I felt OneNote was better suited for me. I'm now comfortable with what I have, so I haven't investigated Evernote since.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)