AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I a Veteran??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 11/12/2015 01:17 (#4891632 - in reply to #4891586)
Subject: RE: Am I a Veteran??

Southeast Wyoming

LHaag - 11/11/2015 22:22
headerpuncher - 11/10/2015 21:38 Had a cousin that stayed home during WW2 on an ag deferment and really worked his butt off not only on his farm but helped everybody in the neighborhood. Was the only able bodied young man around. Help was impossible to find and food was very important to the troops. Some of his classmates and people in the community looked down on him for this. He came down with MS and spent 40 years as pretty helpless cripple. Had some veterans say to me, "serves him right for not serving." This always bothered me as I thought he worked just as hard as they did to accomplish the goal.
Its funny you mention that, my paternal grandfather did not serve in WW2, in recent years he has recounted that it was not a particularly pleasant experience for the young men left here to keep the farms running either. Lack of supplies and repairs, trying to run the ground of several people with less labor, equipment, everything, and as you mentioned at times the guys remaining were treated/viewed downright poorly, didn't matter if it was due to ag deferment, medical etc., they were viewed as "not doing their part". I wouldn't say he's bitter, but you can tell it still stings. Certainly not my (or I would say my granddad's) intent to downplay our veterans, especially today. But the monumental effort it took during WWII required sacrifices be made by all, something I'm afraid might not happen today.

There are many ways to serve the country honorably.  Those who would say their way is the only honorable way to have served have dishonored themselves more than those they would put down.

I was very surprised when I realized that some do not consider our National Guard troops as veterans.  VA benefits are only a tool bureaucrats use to measure the value of anyone's service to our country.  Bureaucrats seldom get it right.

Thanks to all who have served honorably, whether military veteran or civilian. 

Edited by Gary Lyon 11/12/2015 01:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)