AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rural Internet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 11/6/2015 07:53 (#4880369 - in reply to #4880277)
Subject: Not sure what is available

Aberdeen MS
to you in your area.

When I lived in southern MN, at first dial up was all that was offered, eventually a company installed a wireless network with a range of about 7 miles. I was lucky that I had an unobstructed view to the transmitting tower and I could get signal. That service was sold as a 512 speed, but in reality, via speed tests, the best day was just barely over 65 down load. Most of the time is was in the lower 50's or so. The advantage was data was unlimited.

When I moved down here to MS, even tho I am in the city limits, the only options I have is either satellite or cell tower signal via a mifi unit. Excellent speeds (from what I was used to anyway, higher double digit MB speed), but very limited data expensive cost. I do have to be cautious on my downloads over a months of time.

I do have fiber optic risers across the road from me, but as far as I know it is not accessible, hard wire dsl and cable coax also are not available as the 2 companies in town won't make the run for the few houses at this end of town (5500 population). I just have the old 2 wire phone service available. I couldn't even add a second hard line phone without some cost to me as it would require new wire to be run. Again, it's just 2 wire overhead coming to the house.

So after the rambling, I would say satellite or cell tower would be your only two options. But you will have to be prepared to spend and be throttled.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)