AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shells
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 10/6/2015 21:33 (#4827005 - in reply to #4826874)
Subject: RE: shells

N FLA
I'm not a very skillful cow buyer. And truthfully when buying these. I am buying what most folks think wont survive the trailer ride. Also imagine if you ask an order buyer for cows and he brings these. So I guess there is a "home field advantage." I'm looking for the opportunity to put 3-5 BCS points on a cow. The harder part to me is how to price that. Because these old cows will never be the top selling slaughter cow. Plus it is a moving target. We read the "top selling" slaughter cow was 0.83 cents today. So that's roughly $1000. So how do I set up a buying table that leaves a comfortable net margin?

I'm thinking "today:"
900-1100# @ <0.70
700-900# @ <0.60
<700# @ <0.50

I'm also trying to buy wet bag cows with a decent udder. About 50% of the cows get bred back. That's where the home runs come in. So resale of a decent udder is nice. Or to keep around and raise that calf. I will not buy anything with a limp or bad hip. They always die. But my cows walk about 1/2 mile to water and salt and only graze. I pass up a lot of cows because I just can't tell in the ring if they had a stitch in their step. As you see some of these cows are smooth mouth, others 6 and 7 teeth. I have no idea when I'm buying if they have teeth or not. I'm not savvy enough to know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)