AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginng Farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

HeyhayJCM
Posted 10/7/2015 11:49 (#4827863 - in reply to #4827725)
Subject: RE: Beginng Farmer

central ohio..between Springville and Millbrook.
Partsdude15 - 10/7/2015 09:31

I figured what kind of answer I would get and I wasn't far off. I just cant believe how arrogant people have become and becoming. I don't think people are understanding what I am trying to say. I can name a least half of dozen farmers who received help to get started farming many years ago but do you think those farmers want to PAY IT FORWARD like someone did for them. Lets use a farmer I know who was in the same vote I was many years ago. This farmer wanted to start farming and struggled get loans or land to rent. An older fellow in the community heard about his situation and wanted to help. The older fellow took this farmer and worked him into the operation by share cropping than renting and eventually buying. Do you think this farmer is willing to do the same as they received a deal. ABSOLUTLY not because all they are concerned about is their checkbook. Even if this farmer were to still cut a deal for a younger farmer, their checkbook will still be fine since they have more money than they know what to do with. I don't care what age you are with not much backing, the banks will not loan money out for 400+ dollar cash rent with the prices the way they are. I do have livestock and a very good job in town to help with everything but it still isn't enough to offset 400+ cash rent on 150 dollar cash flow land. I am just seeing and stating the obvious that people who need to PAY IT FORWARD are overlooking or don't care to see.

Of course the banks won't loan money for 400.00 rent at 3.60 corn. Why not??? Cause their ain't no profit in it!
You've gotta wait for a downturn and be smart. The guys who are paying 400 rent are the guys who have been in the game a long time and have SLOOOOOWLY built up equity to back these loans.

Also you say the old guys don't wanna help. I doubt that is true but I think u are looking at it the wrong way. You have to PROVE yourself to them . I got my start by helping guys for FREE. even when they didn't need me I'd just show up and help. Then...after they see you are SERIOUSLY serious...then they might let u borrow a tractor and if it comes back washed and serviced then maybe they'll rent u a field.... MAYBE!
Also...I agree with the specialty crop angle. My main business by far is making horse hay and I can tell you this. ..I've been doing this full time since I was 18 and if not for the hay I wouldn't last a year raising corn and beans. Not enough profit in it to make my land payments and build equity. Find yourself a specialty crop that no one else wants to raise, yet has a strong demand and you'll have MUCH better luck convincing that banker to invest in your operation.
You don't sound like a bad guy..but you've gotta humble yourself a little

Good luck!!

Josh Moorefield
Moorefieldhayfarms.com

Edited by HeyhayJCM 10/7/2015 12:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)