AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elder abuse---financial exploitation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

TractorAddict
Posted 9/28/2015 12:28 (#4812970 - in reply to #4812753)
Subject: RE: Elder abuse---financial exploitation

West of Broken Bow
Like a4t mentioned, it can indeed be a slippery slope. Depending on how you report it you can find yourself in the very center of it. A family friend in her 90's was taken advantage of for many years by relatives , neighbors, and later by relatives again.

I had heard things , but didn't know what the entire truths were until years later. First one I'm aware of was a niece who is supposed to be deaf. She supposedly got in financial trouble and approached her aunt(same lady who is friend), after the aunt's husband was deceased. The aunt sold valuable land to pay off the niece's debts. Later on the niece came back with more sad stories with the hopes of obtaining more cash.

I'll skip what the neighbors did and fast forward to a different niece. Apparently the other niece and niece's daughter had been working on the woman for years. Lots of psychology going on. All to fool the aunt in giving up her land, money, and valuables. It's too lengthy to cover everything but it got real nasty. When the woman moved into an assisted living center they shifted into high gear and took everything of value from the house without permission. One lawyer tried to get the woman to prosecute. She refused even though they even tricked her into having the will rewritten by a different lawyer. I stepped in to try and get these people brought to justice after another close friend of hers was almost begging for help, but it has been a long, slow road. Even with me knowing people inside and outside courtrooms, it hasn't been easy. You may need to contact the Attorney General if you definitely have factual information/evidence that abuse/exploitation is taking place. Good luck.

Edited by TractorAddict 9/28/2015 12:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)