AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer 3394 compared to modern corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dragon71
Posted 9/3/2015 10:33 (#4768005 - in reply to #4767782)
Subject: RE: You guys are all missing the point

Farming in NW Iowa
jocoshar23 - 9/3/2015 08:22

I look at that poster and it should be every corn breeders worst nightmare. If that was the yield potential of corn during 1994, look at what the hybrids right beside it look like. This BS claim by EVERY seed corn company that "If you aren't planting the latest genetics and you are losing 2-3 bushel per year" is a complete lie.

We have added Bio-tech traits to corn to keep from losing yield over CRW, ECB, other insects, and weeds. What has been done toward the improvement and advancement of true yield potential? This hybrid is 22 years old and I will bet in some places it would grow more corn than some of the current hybrids we are planting. I have a few thoughts....but I think that it explains a little bit why the Iowa 10 year trend is flat. I am just not buying into this idea that corn breeding has gotten THAT much better in the last 20 years, but yet our seed costs have skyrocketed.

That's for sure. I remember back in probably 1998 or so I had 3489 and 34R06 planted side by side. I believe they were basically the same genetics but the R06 was Yieldgard BT. The corn was weighed by my Pioneer dealer and the yield was almost identical, but the R06 was 4% wetter. He couldn't explain it. I have been all non GMO corn since 1999. The first corn I had break 200 bushels was Golden Harvest 2547. The dealer was actually the same guy who sold Pioneer before and lost his contract. There was a 100 day variety from Golden Harvest that he always got beat with when he was still the Pioneer dealer. I can't remember the number though. May have been 2398?

Edited by dragon71 9/3/2015 10:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)