AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting out, advice needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kml8159
Posted 8/27/2015 19:57 (#4756641)
Subject: Starting out, advice needed

I was hoping the NAT community could give me a bit of advice. My backstory, grew up on a farm (row-crop, hogs, cattle) which I have come to appreciate that upbringing. I have a decent off-farm income and decided to purchase land and farm as both an investment, and lifestyle choice. I recently purchased 240 acres (80 pasture/160 crop ground). I got a pretty good deal on the land and currently share crop it with a neighbor. I know with recent prices, share cropping may be the way to continue; but I am more interested in the lifestyle and work ethic farming it myself provides and the life lessons associated with it I can pass on to my children. I am not necessarily interested in the most profitable way, as I value the experience as well.

All that being said, I have purchased a Challenger MT575B and will be building a pole barn this year. I plan on slowly building up my equipment line and taking over when I feel comfortable. My father also farms about 500 acres and is looking for me to take over a portion of that in the next 4 years. Here are the questions I have:
I plan on continuing to add equipment with the next on the line-up being a no-till planter (preferably split row.)
I am continuing to replace all fencing on the place/its in terrible shape so I can run cows myself (currently rented)
I plan on purchasing some cow/calf pairs and starting to build a small herd in 2 to 3 years.
After I get all of the necessary equipment purchased, I will then start adding tillage equipment if I determine no-till is not for me.
I will add grain storage after that.
I do not plan on purchasing a combine in the next 10 years as there are a few custom cutters in my area.

Does this seem reasonable? Am I missing something? Would you start the cow/calf operation first and get that going prior to taking over the row-crop?

Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)