AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do with treated soybean contamination
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Wheat77
Posted 8/17/2015 21:54 (#4738818 - in reply to #4737534)
Subject: RE: What to do with treated soybean contamination

tr70 - 8/17/2015 09:31

My off farm job is a seed DSM. Got a dealer who had some hired guys dump beans for him (returns or extras). They were going thru the process and dumped some treated beans in the truck. They have about 1000 bu of seed that was contaminated. Anybody got any ideas as to getting rid of them and maintaining some value to the dealer? Color sorter wont be 100% - so that helps but not really an option. Any help would be appreciated. Located in Sioux City area - other than that I really don't want to give out a lot details on a public forum -- email is good. Thanks.

This is a large issue, and the responsibility is with the dealer. As a DSM, you did not mention if you take returns,
and offer credit to the seller, I suppose so, but these are not marketable in any way.

The ideas so far are good, save the seed for planting next year, a mixed up thing that could germ 50%.
The cover crop idea may be an option, but what do guys pay for this seed.

The retailer should have been on duty, to supervise. Could be a $50,000. mistake.

If your company is good to the seller, you can just ship and dump it at a certified landfill, and absorb the mistake.
Any seller cannot handle this expense, and I suppose it has happened before.
The company has to pay for discard of all unsold treated soybean seed that is disposed of, and this is the
best recommendation. Those unsold clean beans are only worth $8.50 on the market.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)