AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what crop to plant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

versatile875
Posted 8/16/2015 12:03 (#4735855)
Subject: what crop to plant?

Western OK
trying to figure out what to plant with the low prices. were in continuous wheat country. I have planted canola the past two years to try and clean up some fields. both years of canola were break even at best. for us it seems we cannot get yields over 34ish on canola, but you go alittle northeast they can grow 50+ canola. now with the price of canola I see it as a for sure money loser. with the low price of wheat im thinking this might be a year to try to clean up some fields by rotating out of wheat, kind of a scary idea not planting most of our acres to wheat but if you factor the cost of herbicides into the cost of production to control the problems like: cheat, jointgrass, wild rye the odds of making a buck or two becomes pretty slim. so here is some of my ideas ive been pondering

1) drill wheat like usual and try to control problems with herbicides/graze out/or make hay and hope the price improves by harvest
2) drill wheat on ground that has no known pest problems, let rest of land lay out till april and plant early milo crop on it. harvest milo and if we have the moisture at wheat time plant right back to wheat.
3) same as above but do milo on some and sesame on some

at current prices making money on wheat is going to be tough. what are you guys thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)