AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good crop photos, our milo this year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

D&M Farms
Posted 8/15/2015 22:40 (#4735194 - in reply to #4734661)
Subject: RE: Good crop photos, our milo this year

Stoddard Co. SEMO
milofarmer1 - 8/15/2015 17:04

Finally! After 4+ year drought, we are going to have a good dryland crop. Wheat was just so-so this spring, but the summer crops have done very well.

Variety: B-H Genetics 4200C
Planted 18,500 pop on 30" rows. Probably got about 17,000 final stand. We had a hard rain after planting and it crusted. I'll have a picture further down showing why I don't panic too much when our dryland milo is a little thin.

Weed control is very simple. Till it lightly before planting, and immediately put down 1.5# Atrazine, and 1.2-1.5 pints generic Dual. (Charger Basic). Had one field we came back with Peak and Atrazine to clean up the Devil's claw. This particular field pictured did not have the post treatment, and has a few very widely scattered Devil's claw, but no other weed pressure.

Had Asana put on a week ago for grasshoppers. No aphids yet, but are really watching close as they have been spotted in the region.

Average dryland yield is about 45bpa, 2500# per acre or so.  Best I have ever made was 70bu. 4200#, this will be somewhere close I am hoping.  Milo is good at promising more than is actually there.  I'd be happy with anything after the past 4 years.

We have not had tons of rain, but every time it has started getting dry we have had some showers.  Where the crop is double planted on the edges it has suffered some in the dry spells.

Supposed to put a can of your favorite "suds" in the picture, right? 

One seed.......5 heads!  I did not dig it up, but I think they all came from one plant.  Most stalks have 1 good head, two more tillers.  Some of the thin spots like pictured it compensated very well. 

That some great looking milo for those populations. That sure is some wide open country. Hard time finding a shade tree?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)