AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seeding down dirtwork
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 8/11/2015 19:56 (#4728141 - in reply to #4727693)
Subject: RE: Seeding down dirtwork

central - east central Minnesota -

LawFarm - 8/11/2015 14:39 Whats the fastest way to get roots/cover into a prepared sidehill/road ditch without sodding or hydroseeding? I have a bag of crimson clover; was thingking about throwing in some cereal rye or annual ryegrass. Is it too early for a winter annual like cereal rye? Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Once residue is well established I may terminate and dormant seed natives. Alternatively, I could seed natives with a nurse crop, but my primary concern is getting some kind of cover out there.

cereal rye or annual rye grass has very good rooting structure to hold the soils. Mix in your natives with it, now.

Township just rebuilt 2.5 miles of road and the ditch was seeded with MNDOT 25-141 and rye I added, some spots blanketed, some spots straw blown on and ankered and some steep hillsides hydroseeded with heavy duty glue type amendment. The straw blankets held up the best after 2 separate 4 plus inch rain events with in 3 days of the seeding and erosion control. The rye came up within 3 days (on the last heavy rain event) holding some soil, just germed out of the ground.

Perfit time of year to plant now . . . . good establishment before winter sets in (hard to believe winter is just around the corner).

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)