AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DK 5356 N. IA, anone else have low stand count?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

FunFarm
Posted 8/2/2015 11:37 (#4712247)
Subject: DK 5356 N. IA, anone else have low stand count?

I strip till, and thought I had the nicest conditions ever to plant into this year in northern Iowa. I planted 5 different DK varieties, but planted more 5356 than any other variety, as it has been a good steady consistent performer for me. I planted everything at 32000, and all the varieties except 5356 had a near perfect stand. The 5356 has some decent stand, but a lot of it was around 25-28000 and a little uneven to boot. Too good to rip up, but disappointing. I had my DK dealer out and he could not determine what caused it, he dug up some plants and said it was definitely not sidewall compaction. All my corn was planted in a 3 day window in 3 different fields. All planted same depth (2"), same pop, same 3 gal 10-34-0 in furrow, everything the same. I planted 5356 in two fields, and can tell to the row where I switched to a different hybrid. So, was it just me?
I am told the ear doesn't flex much on the 5356, so concerned I may not get the big yield that I could have gotten with better stand.....I guess that is why you don't plant just one variety. Anyone else have any issues with 5356 this year? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)